Thursday, March 17, 2016

Expecting the Worst

It is strange to realize that for a large part of my life growing up, those closest to me, expected the worst from me.  Likely, I gave them exactly what they expected.  I know that I wasn't encouraged to behave.  I wasn't praised.  They never came to any award ceremony when I actually did excel.  Finally, I stopped even telling them of any successes.  I did not give them art projects or any of the things that kids would do with their parents.  They didn't believe in me and I guess that I felt the same way in turn.
I learned to expect the worst from myself and from others.  I couldn't see the good in myself.  I never really looked for the good in other people either.  I was definitely trapped in negativity.  Basically, that is all I knew.  With so many things, I didn't even want to try.  Why bother when I already was sure it wouldn't end good anyway?
I know now that what we pour into our friendships and relationships is what we will be getting out of them.  I do believe that if we expect the worst, that is exactly what we are going to draw to us.  I want people around me that are going to expect the best from me.  That still takes into account that we all have bad days.  We cannot possibly always give at 100%.    We cannot always be at 100%.  We can though, expect the best from ourselves and be realistic about it.  Our best may change from day to day.  Stop expecting the worst.  Embrace the best.  Celebrate it.  Give it to yourself and to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment