Friday, March 25, 2016

Journey of Healing

Travelling this road of healing takes tremendous work some days.  Work, that if I am honest, at times I just don't want to do.  There are days that I want it all to just go away.  There are days that turn out just beautiful.  There are days that I look forward to the rising sun, because for me that means bedtime.
My body has adjusted itself to an odd schedule.  I spent over a year not being able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time.  Pain made sleep impossible.  Even taking narcotic pain meds every 4 hours didn't help this problem.  Now, either I have adjusted to the pain, or my body screamed for sleep loud enough, that my sleep pattern changed.  Unless I have appointments early in the day, I can count on getting at least 6 hours of sleep at a time.
Some days, memories will flood over me.  Most of them unpleasant, but not all.  I have found it important to remember the good things.  To force those images to the front as well.  Not everything from the past was bad and I need to remember that.
It has been important for me to also take time off.  To give myself a break from some of the horror that I remember.  I can't imagine staying sane if I was dealing with the past, 24/7.  Life is NOW.  It isn't going to stand still for me while I deal with the past.  I find things that I enjoy and do them on a regular basis.
I have had to learn to deal with high levels of stress.  Memories can be very stressful.  Especially during the times when memories seem to be relentless.  I am fortunate to have wonderful people close to me who remind me that it is memory and not something that is happening right now.  I may be physically and emotionally experiencing the brutality of  being raped when I was seven but thank god they can reach in and grab a hold of me until the sensations stop.  It is stress-filled.  I have had to find things that help me deal with that stress.
Everyone's journey toward healing is going to be different.  And, every journey is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment