Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Elephants



This is by far my favorite animal on the planet.  The largest land mammal.  One of the things that draw me to them is the fact that they feel and express emotion.  They share affection with one another.  They grieve.  They play and have fun.  They become angry.  They are protective.
One of the most touching and saddest videos I have ever seen of elephants was of two young elephants trying to say goodbye to their mother.  She was dead, sadly.  The youngest one would not leave her body.  It kept touching every inch of her.  The little guy was trying to get her to stand up, to respond in some way.  You could see the anguish and it was heart wrenching.
I have no idea how many videos and documentaries I have seen about elephants.  I never tire of them.  Everything about them just amazes me.  Watching the babies play and romp always amuses me.  Watching them pull down a tree with their trunk and then pick a single flower so delicately is astonishing.  There are thousands of muscles in their trunks.  The dexterity they can develop is just so cool.  Theirs is a Matriarch society and I love that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment