Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Choice & Consequence

                  With the freedom of choice, comes the responsibility of consequences.


We all have the ability to impact the lives of those around us by our choices.  The impact obviously can be positive or negative.  Sometimes we are not even aware of the impact.  I don't think many of us think too much over the choices we make.  Choices are made on the fly, daily.
It is easy to see how the choice of a person who has had too much to drink and chooses to drive, causing an accident and injury, has an impact.  It impacts the person and all involved, and circles out from there.  Something like that can have an impact for generations.
Each of us have the freedom of choice.  Making no choice, is still a choice.
I am in a domestic discipline relationship.  I live by a set of rules and guidelines that are enforced by two people.  Although these rules/boundaries are around me, I still choose whether or not to follow them.  I have the freedom to choose.  With that freedom, I also have the responsibility of consequences.  They may be the ones that dish out the discipline and correction, but I am the one that makes the decision on whether or not that needs to happen.  Simply by my choices.  Choice has consequences.  There are no threats hanging over me.  There is no fear in this.  I am treated with love and respect at all times.  And, I am disciplined when I make the wrong choice for myself.
What if all choices had no consequences?  Imagine how much chaos there would be.  I am sure many would be calling foul.  Imagine the person who saved for months to purchase a television and the person who went out and stole one.  Each came home with a t.v.  They each choose how to get one for themselves.  If there wasn't consequences, we would not see anything wrong in the two different methods.  People could just go out and take whatever they wanted.
I believe we learn through choice and consequence.  It isn't the only way, but it is one way.  Right now, I am experiencing things that I never have before.  A lot of the generation growing up right now are not experiencing it either and it shows.  Many are totally lacking the experience of consequences for their actions and choices.  My choices and theirs have always had consequences but were never enforced.  Now, I am experiencing things that so many people have taken for granted in their lives.  It might seem strange to outsiders.  What I know is that it is working for me.  It has given me a safe place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment