Thursday, February 11, 2016

Self Harm

Anger does not feel good.  I am not an angry type person to begin with.  Until about 15 years ago I don't think I could have described to anyone what anger feels like.  Probably because of the continual sexual abuse and the f*cked up world I lived in, anger was not an emotion I knew.  It was not safe for me to express it, so it got buried along with a lot of other things.  I had moments of *losing* it toward other people.  I know now that it was anger, but |I did not know it then.  For me it was the thought that I was just not going to take it anymore.
When I started harming myself at age 11, it really happened by accident.  My father was in prison and my mother had told me I needed to do the dishes.  I refused.  Then she told me I was grounded.  I actually stormed off to my room and flopped down on my bed.  I sat there fuming.  I know now it was anger.  For me, it was a light bulb that went off in my head.  Grounded?  Who the hell did she think she was?  She couldn't ground me!  I don't have to take this!  I got up and marched down the hallway.  She was in the living room, if I remember right, there was some lady there with her.  My mother asked me what I thought I was doing.  I told her I was leaving.  She of course dared to tell me that I wasn't going anywhere.  My response was, *watch me!*  I went out the door and slammed it behind me.  Every part of me was shaking.  At that time we were in a third floor apartment.  I made it to the stairs and went down just a couple of them and sat.  I could still see the bottom of our front door.  My whole body was tense.  I wanted her to open that door and say something to me.  I wanted her to follow me.  My thought wasn't for her to try and stop me or try to enforce her authority (she had none and we both knew it)  I wanted the satisfaction of defying her again before I actually left.  That is what I was thinking as I sat there.  In my head daring her to come to that outer hallway.  While sitting there watching the door, whatever I was feeling shifted.  To me, she was just a bitch who didn't give a shit.  For a brief moment anyway, I wanted her to give a shit about me.  I remember standing up and giving the door the finger before running down the stairs.  I no longer remember where I went or what I did.  Not sure how long I was gone either.  When I came home it was dark and the house was quiet.  Dirty dishes were still in the sink.  I don't know what I was thinking or feeling, but I decided to wash them.  As I did, a glass broke with my hand inside it.  It made a small cut that bled.  I rinsed my hand and went to throw the pieces of glass away.  It had only broke in two.  But, I looked at the small spot of blood, I looked at the dishes I had finished.  There was a sense of peace inside me.  I don't know if I even know why I did it, but I took the jagged glass and cut from just above my wrist to halfway down my thumb.  I did not feel physical pain.  I felt a release, a warmth, I felt something so incredibly different from anything I had ever known before.  I stopped the bleeding as best I could and finished the couple of dishes that were left.  At that moment, a cutter was born.

Whenever I felt something that had my body tense or shaking, I found that if I harmed myself, it went away.  I learned quickly to hide the cuts on other parts of my body.  I did not want anyone to know or to see.  I did not want their attention.  I found that banging my head against the wall a few times had the same effect.  I also found that doing this made a loud sound and drew attention.  I wasn't after attention.  I used hammers on my arms and hands, thighs and shins. I picked at the nails on my little toes until I could pull them completely off.   That outside pain, took away the pain inside.  Understand, that there was no way I could have explained this to anyone back then.  I had no concept that I was using physical pain to take away emotional pain.  I didn't know a better way.  I didn't even know a different way.
As I got older I used it less.  It wasn't until I finally went to therapy and started dealing with some of my past that this behavior raised it's ugly head again.  My therapist back then helped me understand what I was doing and why.  Understanding self harm for what it is, did not help me.  Dammit, for me it worked!  It kept me from falling over the edge to suicide.  I was scared to death of all the emotions that overran me.  I was honestly afraid that feeling the emotions would kill me.  I wasn't trying to kill myself with cutting, I was trying to stay alive.
Cutting myself or harming myself through the years also sort of morphed into punishing myself.  No one else was correcting or punishing me.  When I felt that I had really messed up, I harmed myself.  I wish I could explain it, I just can't.  As screwed up as it sounds, it was a survival tool for me.
I am dealing again with things from my past.  I am experiencing emotional pain from time to time.  I have better tools for survival now.  That doesn't mean that the thought of self harm has gone away.  It is still very much an ugly monster I struggle with.  I don't remember for sure the last time I purposely harmed myself.  My hope is that I never choose that way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment