Saturday, June 4, 2016

Feeling Worthless


Most of us, I am sure, have days like this.  Feeling that our worth is buried somewhere deeply under the earth.  On our own scale of worthiness, we just don't measure up.  Feeling that I am not worth the time or attention of someone else, is something that has plagued me far too frequently.  The words, *you are worthless* were directed at me far more than *I love you* or any praise.
That feeling of worthlessness can hold me in place like cement.  The words of others do very little to break through that strong hold.  I don't even know what does break that hold.  Sometimes the feeling of worthlessness comes from self-pity.  In those cases, I eventually come to my senses and kick myself in the ass.  I can and do tell myself to knock it off.
Sometimes the feeling of worthlessness comes from having made bad choices or from letting others down.  It seems to come out of a sense of, (or even real) failure on my part.  When my choices effect others negatively or in a bad way, worthlessness can jump in and grab a hold of me.  I am very capable of beating myself up far worse than anyone else could do.  I am my worst critic.  It can become so easy to dwell on all the failures, thus fueling the feelings of worthlessness.
There has to come a point where I stand up and tell myself, Enough!  Acknowledging my failures, taking ownership of them and moving forward to fix the problems or put them behind me.  We all make bad choices.  We all make choices that end up hurting others.  Just make amends and move forward.  Apologize if need be, take the steps to make things right if you can, and put it behind you.  Stop the pity parties with worthlessness.  Evict those feelings permanently!

No comments:

Post a Comment