Monday, April 11, 2016

The Little Things

I am learning to be thankful for the little things.  Being able to acknowledge the small victories in my life right now. When it seems that life keeps throwing curve balls at me, I don't see a lot of options.  It would be so easy to just throw the towel in and pack up shop.  It takes a real turning of my thoughts to look at what is going right.
I am not saying that this is easy, it isn't.  Just like so many people, I really would rather complain about all the things that are going wrong.  Big and little things just keep happening.  It would be easier to just drown myself in the negativity.  Since I know that is not good for me I have been making myself look for the good.  Searching for even the smallest things to celebrate.
I have found that for me this almost always starts with being thankful for the basics of life, shelter, food, air to breathe, etc.  When I begin, going beyond that takes fighting with myself.  Maybe the little things are insignificant, but they are there.  Like with Mickey right now, her life is in danger because of this surgery not already having been done.  I am celebrating the fact that even her surgeon is involved and calling the insurance company that needs to okay it.  He is telling them that it needs to be done sooner rather that later.  He doesn't have to be involved like this but he is right in there fighting as well.  I am celebrating this fact and am thankful for it.
I like to eat pizza with a knife and fork, yes I am weird.  Today I could not cut it myself.  My arms just would not let me.  I am celebrating the fact that not only was I able to ask for help without feeling helpless about it, I have someone with me who cares for me and does things like that happily for me.  I wanted a shower and my hair washed.  I was too weak to do it all myself today.  My arms feel like they are made of lead.  The thought of trying to wash my own long hair was a bit overwhelming.  Again, I am celebrating the fact that I have help.  Yes, I am frustrated that my body won't always work the way I want it to.  I am also thankful that I have been blessed with help when I need it.
One of our chihuahuas had puppies about 6 days ago.  She actually gave birth to 5 of them.  Pretty unheard of for a chihuahua.  The pure white runt of the litter died on the second day even though we did everything right and was also bottle feeding it.  I am celebrating that we still have 4 super healthy puppies and a momma pup that is proving to be a great mother.  The little white one also passed away in Mickey's hands having love poured into it.  A little victory, something to celebrate.
The little things do matter.  They can change the negative into something more positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment