Saturday, April 2, 2016

Attitude

I have been told that attitude defines many things.    It has been more in the context of, if I have an attitude of success then I will succeed.  If my attitude is one of failure, I will fail.  What I think, will determine how I feel and what actions I take.  Of that I am sure.  I have seen this play out in my life many times.  I am not always successful in grabbing a hold of my own thoughts and reining them in.   But, when I am, change happens.  I have come to believe that even in the worst circumstances, change begins with me.  I know that I do not have the power to change anyone but myself.  I am the one that has the ability to change my attitudes.  Not saying it is easy, just that it is possible.
I am one that doesn't enjoy a lot of social interaction.  I am uncomfortable in crowds.  It rarely matters to me if I get out much.  I live with a woman who is just the opposite.  She needs to get out and to socialize.  I could have a bad attitude about it all.  I could complain that I don't want to go.  I could even stay home instead and let her go alone.  She knows how I feel.  We have found a middle ground that works for us.  I tag a long to some of the things and she goes alone to others.  We each respect that we can't change the other so we meet half-way.  We love our outings together and enjoy the times alone.  Some people find it odd that I don't mind her going out and having dinner with someone else once in awhile.  For me it is just that I understand her needs and recognize that I can't meet all of them.  My attitude is key here.  I am happy that she can go out alone and go out with me.  If my attitude was one of resentment, there would be nothing but trouble.
I am not the jealous type.  Never have been.  I view every relationship that I value, as a gift.  I hope that my attitude is always one of love and thankfulness for the gift of friendship.  That doesn't mean that everything is a bed of roses.  It simply means that I am willing to work through the ups & downs too.  I don't want to ever allow a mistake to be the end of a friendship.  I do give second chances and sometimes third.  I have matured enough to recognize when change will not take place and the end of a relationship is near because of that.  I have to stop and look at my own attitudes about it all.  My attitude after all begins and ends with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment