Monday, April 18, 2016

Beluga Whale


This is a picture of me with a beluga whale.  I was gifted a trip to Canada and an up close and personal, whale experience.  The adventure was awe-inspiring.  If you have never had a behind the scenes look at some of the animals, I highly recommend it.  (The whale pictured here is in captivity because he was injured and could not be returned to the wild.)  A behind the scenes look gave me a much better understanding of the animal and it's habits, diet, personality, etc.  They had me prepare his food.  That was not a pleasant experience for me.  I was taught the commands used to bring him to the sides to be examined by a vet when needed.  This was one of the gentlest creatures I have ever encountered.  I was surprised by how it actually felt to touch him.  I expected he would feel slimy, like a fish.  Instead, he was soft and warm to the touch.  I came away from the experience changed, with a deeper compassion for all creatures big and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment