Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Impulse

I sometimes have a very impulsive nature.  My partner would likely respond to that with, "REALLY, ya think?"  At least my intentions are good ones for the most part.  I am guilty of having an idea and running with it.  Only later, bringing the people around me up to speed on it.  I did just that last night, with an idea I had.  I did finally slow myself down and completely fill my partner in on everything.  Which she was agreeable to, by the way.  She thought my idea was a pretty good one and wished that she had been brought in at the start of it, or even told first, instead of brought in at the middle.  I do the same thing with conversations with her so much of the time.  I will be thinking about something and having a conversation in my head.  Sort of weighing the pros and cons of it, or some such thing.  Then, I will start talking to her about it.  I can't put a number on how many times she has stopped me as I was speaking and asked me if I could bring her in at the start of the conversation. lol.  She laughingly reminds me that she wasn't present at the beginning of the conversation because it was in my head!
Impulse can get a little crazy.  I do impulse shop.  When I am shopping I will fill the cart with things that catch my eye.  I am certain at that moment that I want them.  Then, thankfully for our budget, about two aisles later I will take that thing out of the cart and lay it on a shelf somewhere.  Deciding then that it is not something that I really need.  I am likely one of the stock-person's worse nightmares.  I don't mean to do it.  I probably could retrace my steps and return the item where I found it.  But, I don't.  It also doesn't matter what sort of store it is either, gift shop, grocery store, department store... you name it, I have done it!  If I think I want it, I just can't resist that urge to put it in the cart right then.  Luckily for me, once that urge and impulse has died down and I look at the item again, I can talk myself out of it.  *I don't really need it, Next month I will have more money,  I might find it for a better price, If I wait, the money could go toward something else I want, How many T-shirts does one girl need?, etc.* (I confess, I have a t-shirt collection)  I have an elephant collection as well.  What I don't have is a t-shirt with an elephant on it, lol!  Maybe it is time for a shopping trip?
Thinking a little about the ID, Ego & Super Ego.  That sort of plays out in my shopping style.  The impulse of thinking I just *need* that thing right now, figuring out how to meet that need by tossing the item in my basket and then talking myself out of it. (or talking sense into myself)
Impulse is a sudden strong, and unreflective urge or desire to act.  Not stopping to think it through.  When that impulse is for wanting a thing, then instant gratification shows up.  That is what I feel when I toss that item in my basket.  When I talk myself out of it, a lot of the times it isn't a *no* to myself.  It is more of a *wait*.  Delayed gratification.  Yes, I am going somewhere with this.
Delayed gratification is defined as the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward.  Generally delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later.  A lot of things have been written about and studied that shows, having the ability to delay gratification can lead to a lot of other positive outcomes in a person's life.  Like, academic success, physical and psychological health.  (this is a sort of paraphrase of a definition)  What it shows me is that learning to rein in our/my impulses can have a very positive effect.  Consider, that cupcake that sure seems to be screaming for you to purchase and eat it.  Controlling that impulse can sure add to better physical well-being.  Staying in and doing the required assignment and resisting the urge to go out to the party is or should help the grades improve.
Controlling our impulses, learning to control them doesn't end with childhood. For some people, they actually have a disorder that impedes them from controlling impulses.  Most of us don't have that problem.  We have the ability to control the impulse, even if like in my case it comes a little later than I would like.  When we don't rein in some of our impulses we can cause serious harm to ourselves and to others.  To me, it all comes back to self discipline.  A continuous teaching of myself.  I am fortunate to have others in my life that have no problem helping me rein in those impulses and exercise discipline when I fall short.  Friends and family around us can be great teachers and role models of impulse control.  You don't have to be in a D/s or spanking relationship to grow in your impulse control.  Even in a relationship where I am disciplined, if I don't want to change, grow, learn, I am not going to.  I believe that if you want it (better impulse control) you can have it!  Takes a wanting to, the willingness and practice.  Simple, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment