Thursday, July 7, 2016

Need for Approval

I have been thinking about something today.  Over my life time, I have struggled with the issue of needing approval from others.  As I have gotten older, the *need* for this has changed.  As a child, teen and young adult, it was pretty huge in my life.  The desire to be accepted was a driving factor in my life for a long time.
It is hard to remember when I finally felt the freedom to just be myself.  Up until then, who I was changed somewhat with each person or group I was involved with.  The motivation behind it all was just the need to be accepted.
I never felt that I was good enough.  There was no feeling that I actually belonged.  I had a few friends, but no real close friends.  My life was filled with a lot of secrecy because of all the abuses at home.  I think because of this, who I was, wasn't ever exposed let alone seen by others.
I was rejected by the mother I grew up with, right from the start.  I knew early on that she didn't like me or want me.  At such a young age, I started searching for a mother figure that would simply just accept me.
Now in my life, I accept myself.  That truth is what I believe has stopped that huge need for acceptance from others.  I am not perfect.  I accept my flaws and weaknesses.  I understand that I am just me.  All I can ever be is *me*, and that is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment