Saturday, July 9, 2016

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

I wish that I lived in a world where love was enough.  A world where all lives matter.  A world that didn't judge by skin color.  I wish I lived in a world where the actions of one was not automatically tied to an entire group.
From the race conflicts in the 60s, I would think that we would have grown up by now, but we haven't.  My father was a racist.  His views were very hard to swallow.  At a very young age, all I saw were people.  Men and women.  I judged them on the evil that I did or didn't see in them.  My judgment was through the actions I saw.  I didn't buy into my father's hate.
So many people now seem to want a reason to hate.  Whether it is gender, sexuality, race, religion, occupation.... they want some reason to fight, harm, degrade, ridicule and yes, murder.  To say that this saddens me doesn't even come close to expressing the deep sadness that I feel.
We live in a world of terrorism.  We live in a country that sadly also terrorizes those who are different or get classed in some group.  The threat of terror attacks from other hate groups from other nations, is real.  Right now I feel like those groups can just sit back and watch us destroy one another out of hate and prejudice.
I am not looking for paradise, just peace.  Living in the land of the free and the home of the brave, it would be nice to actually see that freedom for all.  It would be wonderful to see bravery in action.  Standing up for what you believe in, is bravery.  Acknowledging the differences between yourself and others is also bravery.  Allowing others to be different is freedom in action.
America is bound in chains.  Chains of our own making.  Chains hardened by hate and prejudices.  Only love and acceptance can break those chains.  Violence is never the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment