Friday, July 22, 2016

Mickey's Birthday Paddle

Yesterday was Mickey's birthday.  For three days she has been receiving Seattle Seahawk related presents.  She is a fan, big time!  She has a good size collection of Seahawk memorabilia .  It is a lot of fun to see her reaction to something new that is all about that foorball team or the *12's*
I also made her a wooden paddle.  I have not worked painting on wood in a very long time and did not trust my skills.  That just means that I kept it simple.  On one side in large letters it says : Daddie.  I borrowed a saying from one of Miss Jenn's paddles and wrote it on the handle of this new one.  It says, *Girls who tease go over knees.*  The backside of the paddle is where I wrote, *Daddie's little helper.  Very simple.  I didn't have the right stuff to make a drawing and transfer it on there to paint it, so I just did all the lettering free hand.  It is difficult for me because I never know when my hands are going to start to shake.  The spanking part of the paddle is sort of star shaped and probably 6x6 and then the handle is a nice size.  She loved it and was surprised that I actually made it.  Making it and keeping it a surprise is always a challenge.  I have to work when she is asleep and hope that I have all the materials I need.
She has wanted me to get back into painting for quite some time.  She has a dream of me painting a mural on one of the walls in our home.  At this point, I don't think I am physically capable of this on my own.  I think she understands that also.  Instead, she is making sure that I have plenty of coloring supplies, crayons, markers, colored pencils and so many adult coloring books.  It is a hobby that I enjoy a lot.
Coloring now is also a tool I am using to deal with stress and pain.  Whether I am coloring something for a specific artist/illustrator or just for my own enjoyment, I find that I focus in and the pressures of the moment start fading to the background.  Whoever thought that what has been seen so long as a childhood past-time could become a tool to deal with chronic pain?  There are literally now 100s of coloring books and coloring book artists out there.  I have been introduced to so many of them and their work.  Most of them are so generous with their time and teaching me some new techniques also.

No comments:

Post a Comment