Monday, July 18, 2016

Violence in the World

Today, I have been forcing my mind to move away from dwelling on the tragedies that are happening in our Country and world.  Thankfully no violence is actually touching my life personally.  So, why then, is my heart still breaking?  I am appalled  by the violence that is taking place.  I don't understand it.  I certainly do not condone it.  I do not see violence as the answer to anything.  I can't say that I believe totally in an eye for an eye.
I understand anger.  I understand wanting to kill someone else.  If a family member was harmed intentionally, I cannot say that I wouldn't see red and want to retaliate.  Left unchecked, I know I am capable of acting on those thoughts.  I know I would not hesitate to shoot an intruder into my home.  I know that I am capable of murder.
In the *heat* of emotion, I know that I am capable of almost anything.  So where is the line between myself and someone else who is angry and takes a gun killing any representation of their anger focus?  What makes me any different?
I am not sure.  That is a scary thought.  Maybe I haven't been pushed to that point.  Maybe I have never felt that much hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment