Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Puppies

I am sitting here listening to four 5 week old chihuahua puppies, cry to be let out of their huge kennel.  They were just fed and have plenty of room to play.  One of them has me belly laughing because he has just learned how to howl.  It is the most pitiful yet adorable sound I have heard in a long time!  I would let them out to play except for the fact that it is 3:30am.  This is not a time that I want them to become accustomed to being out and running.
Most chihuahuas have only two puppies at a time.  Ours actually had 5 of them.  The runt passed away shortly after birth.  The rest are feisty and healthy.  They are so healthy and big that the four together are about as strong as mom and she has trouble getting away when they all are latched onto her.  She now feeds them about 3 times a day and we supplement with puppy milk and solid food that is moist.
It is funny how taking care of something that is vulnerable can change a person.  It will often bring out the best in us.  Watching them play always makes me smile no matter my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment