Friday, December 18, 2015

Generosity

This time of year, I think a lot of us get caught up in gift giving and the whole hype around the holidays.  We stress over not only what to get, but the cost, and even if the other person will like it.  We are bombarded by commercials and ads for the newest gadgets and toys.  Some people even go into debt with the intention of paying it all off through the new year.  Enough already!

Generosity is not something purchased.  Generosity comes from inside of us.  Of course if we are willing or able, it may be shown in the giving of gifts.  What about when we are strapped for cash?  What happens when there are enough finances to make ends meet and nothing left over?  Or worse, ends don't meet?  How can we be generous then?

Generosity is so simple and yet so many make it so hard.  Generosity is a giving of our time to some one who needs it.  A listening ear for a friend or neighbor in distress goes a long way in the book of generosity for me.  Why is it that when we think of someone being generous, that we think about what monetary contribution they have made or what material gifts they have given?  For me, generosity comes from the heart and is a state of being.  It is putting someone else before myself and my wants.  Giving my time and sometimes even my resources.  The act of sharing with and caring for someone else.
We can be generous with so many things.  Opening the door at the bank for the person entering behind us, and letting them go first.  Smiling at that person who is walking toward us.  For all we know, our smile might be the only one they have seen all day.  And, I will bet, that for that person, our smile was not only an act of kindness, but generosity as well.  We get so shut off in our own little worlds sometimes.  Busy in our schedules, in a hurry, wanting to get the errands done quickly and most definitely have an agenda, at least in our minds, that we lose sight of what really is important.  We lose sight of what can and does make a difference in this world of ours; our generosity toward one another.
Gifts are nice, but I am asking you to think outside the box, literally.  Give generously of yourself to others.  My plan this year for myself is visiting a home for the elderly and asking specifically for someone who rarely has any family or friends visiting them.  I am going to set out to befriend this person and hopefully bring many smiles to their face, simply by giving them some of my time.  What can you do?  How can you be generous in your life, inside and outside of your circle of family and friends?  We all have something to give to others.  I encourage you today to be go out there and be generous.  I know that you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment